Alexandrian Nights

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Cat in The Tomb and The Angel of Death

My little sister brought home a very little cat about a week ago ,I am not an animal lover at all and my past experiences (including the crocodile's one) proves that ,but this cat was very cute ,about one month or two months old ,strangely for the past three or four days every day it comes to my bed and jumps to sleep beside me and never accepts to sleep anywhere else regardless of how hard they try to convince it to sleep beside their beds ,it always ran to my room.

Today moring I woke up at 10 AM exactly ,was feeling a little dizzy from uncomfortable sleeping and strange dreams I had but couldn't clearly remember ,I sat for a while in the bed trying to gather my thoughts and inject some energy in my veins to to be able to get up ,I had several problems at work during the past days and this resulted in my enthusing to go to work being decreased severely ,when I felt that time has come and now I really should get up I started my descending from the bed when I noticed somethin strange ,the little cat was lying on the edge of my bed ,looking peacefully but I felt there was something wrong ,I tried to concentrate to overcome all the remaining laziness inside me. To my utter shock the little cat was lying on her back ,not moving at all ,it's eyes were closed and it's tongue were popping out of her mouth in a strange and odd scene. Suddenly I realized that there's something spooky is going on ,there were no breathing signs coming from the cat ,it's chest weren't moving ,I touched the body to feel any warmth and there were none ,no heart beating also at all.

I kept staring for the cat for several minutes ,unsure how to proceed ,I guess it's not an easy thing to wake up after a series of nasty dreams to find dead animal lying in your own bed ,and especially a very little animal like that ,I have always been strong when it's about death ,I watched several persons dying infront of my eyes ,I was standing during seveal burials of friends & relatives and I have survived three deadly car crashes where death was very near to me ,I have even survived a bombing during the gulf war when our dear friend Saddam Hussein launched one of his Rocekets on Riyadh city and blew up a residential building which was very very near to our home there and I still remember the vibrating floor under my feet and the shuddering walls behind my back ,but this time it's very different ,to have some dead(being) in your own bed.

I entered a very dark mood and thought for a moment about not going to work but I knew I couldn't since I am currently the sole person responsible for the department I work in ,beside that my stupid manager will not be very cooperative in such matter and it may develop into a violent fight over the internet wires! ,I gathered my self and tried not to look at my bed while I was dressing ,and went to work with dark cloud over my head.

The day was very heavy ,I avoided talking to any one at the work and we usually don't talk a lot for several reasons I will tell you about later ,but at the mid of the day and during a casual conversations with one of my work's peers I told him about what happened ,by the time of telling that I was feeling a little relaxed and was starting to forget the haunting image of the dead cat ,but my work's colleague astonished me with his response ,atually I was ready to accept any thing from him ,either it was sarcasm ,sympathy or even complete silence ,but what he said was really out of my expectations.

He asked me a question (You don't pray regulary ,do you?) , I said(what this has to do about the cat's death?!) ,he continued simply saying that this is certainly a sign (or warning) from God aimed to me!! ,when I asked him to make things a little more clear he told me (I think God wanted to show you how The Angel of Death was very close to you!!).

I really couldn't believe that these words were said by a young & decent man like my colleague(we shall call him A) ,I told him that I am not a blasphemed ,I am just an ordinary human being that may lacks the regular commitment in doing his prayers ,why would God threaten me like that? ,what is this crap you are saying? ,why you try to make it like an old Indian movie?!

A was stunned from my response ,I guess his tiny mind made him think that I will say something like (sob7an 2alah ,you are right) or something like that ,he surprised me again with another retarded theory ,he said (don't you know that the married man who is not praying should be separated from his wife till he start praying!!!!!!!!!!) ,at this stage I was no longer able to take more of this crap but I maintained my coolness as much as I can ,I remembered the famous Egyptian Philosophy professor (Nasr Hamed Abu Zed) when something like that happened to hi m only because he was writing and thinking in some ways that some religious people thought were offensing to Islam and so they declared him a blasphemed!.

I told A calmly that this is nonsense and there's nothing like that in Islam ,and for God's sake this was a little cat ,what it has to do with all that ,and if this was a sign should it have been one of my brothers sleeping in the other room?

On the other hand this death made me think of how cruel we are on another side ,we used to hear about countless deaths every day all over the world ,we read about them on the newspapers while eating breakfast or watching them in the news after dinner ,all to us just numbers ,we feel temporarily sorry for them ,we may even shed a small tear or say a prayer but as soon as we get up from the table or switch the channel to get updated with the latest hot videoclips on Melody Hits every thing is forgotten ,and all that remains is vague memory in the back of our heads ,even in a near tragic accident like the one happened in Mohandeseen Cairo last week you still feel distant and safe in your warmth ,but when it's near you ,when you smell death near you ,engulfing someone or some being you have known for real ,you start to feel sorry...Very real sorry indeed.


Notice:While I was writing this a break news came from Iraq about a suicide bombing during a funeral!! ,Hey A...I guess The Angel of Death was very ready this time you stupid fellow!

10 Comments:

  • At 2:21 AM, Blogger Just Jane said…

    How very sad...I agree with you. I don't think it was a sign at all that you are blasphemed. As someone who knows a bit about cats I can tell you that very young ones, especially if they are small, are vulnerable. This poor little guy was probably too weak to survive no matter where he was or who he was with. I am sorry for finding this dear creature dead in your bed. That must have been quite upsetting. It is good to think that he found comfort with you in his short life (why else would he choose your bed?) and that is where his spirit left his body. I'm sure he passed peacefully in the place he felt most at home. Again, sorry about your sad experience.

    It is scandalous that some people use death as a means to advance their own religious or political agendas. It's sickening. Everyone and everything dies. Even the stars and the universe will be dead someday and it no amount of prayer will stop it.

     
  • At 3:01 AM, Blogger Zeinobia said…

    sorry for the cat death,it is terrible one
    your friend who told this strange theory I am sorry to say he knew his religion in late stage ,I got a friend who lived all her life in Dubai ,barely knows anything about Islam except the major concepts when she came ,she stunned me when she said to another girl in the faculty who had got some good news I can't remember if she succeeded or got a present " Do you pray?" the girl told her "yes I do" , my friend told her " that why you got it "!! the girl was stunned like me

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger change destiny said…

    Hey !! I'm really sorry for the cat.
    And about your friend's theory ...
    What can i say ? This type of thinking have been spreading all over Egypt for a while now . It's rather frustrating . Drives me to the edge at times .

    However , I do believe everything in life happens for a reason . And only you could find out what the reason is . Maybe not today or tomorrow may be later on .

    Take care of yourself please.

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Blogger Hanouma said…

    your story is very touching, i totally agree with you and this stupid, narrow-minded collegue is very suffocating. God be with you, i hate have such poeple around and i'm so happy that u don't think this way though u lived in SA but it seems they didn't influence you.
    You have a very good writing style and very good english too. i wait for ure posts and also ure comments on my writing.
    Good Luck and waiting for the next. really ure blogspot became one of my daily routine.

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Libyan Violet said…

    So sad about the little cat, but these things happen..I'm always upset beyond normal about the death of animals but more so cats.

    As for that colleague, excuse me but he is an @#@#$# . We have these kind of people at work as well. Being 1/2 knowledgeable about something is worse than ignorance, and it is his type who give a bad name to religion. You should hear the crap I'm subjected to at times. Please relinquish what this guy said to the trashcan of history , I just hope he does not influence impressionable minds. Take care and waiting to hear more work stories.

     
  • At 3:06 AM, Blogger tota said…

    sorry for that cat

    and

    Happy Eid Adha

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Rain said…

    :(

    Poor kitten... that's why I don't want to have a pet , I'm a very clingy person , when I get attached to sth or someone it's very hard to let go.

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    poor cat :(((

    i love cats but i've never thought about having one coz i feer of loosing it so much
    im sure i'll never overcome a dead cat in my bed

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Nightlegend said…

    Jnae:Thanks for your support ,and I agree with you ,everything is destined to die and nothing can stop that.

    Zeinobia:That's Another example of retarded & idiot people whom I were talking about!

    Dalia:I agree with you ,we need more love in this violent world we live in.

    change destiny:Thanks alot for your concern ,I will be sure to watch over myself!

    Hanouma:I don't know how to thank you for your coninuos support ,it'a realy an honour to me to be that my blog is among your favorite blogs.

    Opium:Thank you.

    Violet:It seems that this kind of people are everywhere.

    tota:Thanks and Happy eid to you too

    rain:I am glad that I have known that about you ,it's very good to be attached to someone or something.

    Jade:Thanks ,I already have done that in another discussion which I will post later.

    bosbos:Thanks for your sympathy.

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger bint alshamsa said…

    I know it is a bit late but I just wanted to add my condolences on the loss of your cat. I have two cats because I can not have any more children (I just have one daughter), so my cats are like my children too. If one of them died, I would be hysterical probably.

    I guess some people don't know how to keep their dumb ideas to themselves. It reminds me of the saying

    "It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than it is to open your mouth and prove that it is true beyond all doubt".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home