Alexandrian Nights

Monday, December 05, 2005

I am 17!!

Last Wednesday I had to take an English Level's determining exam ,the were new to me since I never thought about that during mylife ,I never even took any English language courses before and I think will never do except for maybe IELTS and that would be in only the case of not being able of obtaining the proper self study materials ,anyway taking this test was enforced due to the fact that one recent job offer required all the applicants to have an official document from accredited language institute or similar organization which is clearly stating the applicant's level in the English language ,after thinking about that I found that the idea is somewhat exciting ,I mean that after all of these years of living with the English language during college ,work ,reading & writing I completely neglected the idea of knowing where I exactly stand ,I knew that I am good or maybe better ,but where's the exact spot is a new concept.

I headed directly to the AUC branch here in Alexandria to take the test ,the AUC branch here offers most of the AUC's services except for the undergraduate studies ,meaning that you can not have a bachelor degree in any field and you have to study in Cairo ,but to my knowledge the AUC here offers post graduate studies & courses in different fields through what is called (Continuing education & community Services Programs) ,these activities is committed in cooperation with Arab Academy for Science & Technology ,this was good thing to me since this is the college where I was graduated from with Bachelor Degree in MIS.

I filled the exam's registration papers and were handed the exam's papers along with instructions & answers model ,I was guided to an empty class to sit and begin answering and the maximum duration were determined to be no more than 75 minutes ,the exam was moderately easy but what frustrated me were a couple of badly structured questions that were completely nonsense ,I finished answering the exam in about one hour .I left the class and headed to the Admin to hand him the exam's papers ,I was asked to sit and wait for the result.

During my waiting I was trying to calculate and predict the results ,I said to myself that based on my answers I should be at Level 18 or 19 out of 20 levels which is all of out there in the General English Language courses ,the Admin came back and said (Congratulations ,you are at Level 17!!) ,as you may know Level 17 is the last level in the Upper Intermediate levels and I don't think they made mistakes during the correcting phase ,it wasn't OK to me at all since I know deep inside that I should be at least at level 18 and all of that were because of those two stupid nonsense questions ,anyway I will try take the test again in different place .Maybe The British Council this time and see what will be the results this time.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    Hey Nightlegend,

    Don’t be offended by the result, it’s very good… and you know what it’s an important step to be evaluated even though you didn’t really feel that you needed to.
    Learning is always an opportunity that has to be seized, so seize the opportunity and try to get the best out of it.
    If you want to try at another place, but let your decision be based on “which of them you think is better” not “which of them thinks you are better”.

    All the best of luck,
    Nesreen

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Night, don't worry about it! I think the British Council is a great idea. Their tests are hard, but never confusing. Actually, I am planning to get my Cambridge exams next summer there.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger change destiny said…

    I'm amazed that you are surprised . I know your English is great and all . But using a language makes one's skills go down . Just like Arabic . We all use it . But on a test OH NO . All the slang from the movies & the songs must have got you confused . But don't settle for the 17th . Try the british council .

     
  • At 4:45 AM, Blogger change destiny said…

    Hey !! Long time no see . Where have you been ??

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Charisma said…

    Night,

    Now i didnt know you graduated from the AAST, we're colleagues ba'a :)

    Anyhow, i dont know how hings are in Egypt, but when i took that exam in the british council here i got the last level, the test was do damn easy it was unbelievable, the point is, evaluating exams like this tend to be easy, but tricky, hence the none sense questions you mentioned, those questions are the ones which determines the witty students from the normal ones.

    I think, like everyone else, that you should take the test again, and this time concentrate on those non sense questions and ISA you'll ace it and get the job you want!

    Good luck!

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger LouLou said…

    Hi Nightlegend,

    Haven't seen you around the blogs in a while. Hope everything is ok ISA.

     
  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger Wonderer said…

    I second loulou. Hope everything is ok.

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    Hey Nightlegend,
    Hope you are fine... it has been some while since you have posted anything.

    All the best,
    Nesreen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home