Alexandrian Nights

Friday, January 20, 2006

When We're Gone

Today I was sitting at work and analyzing the flow of Today's news feeds as usual ,The office's Network kept loosing connection and I was fixing it furiously ,that's because I am the new Network Administrator beside my regular responsibilities!

Suddenly a news article appeared with strange content ,it really made me shivering for unknown reason:


US man kills himself live on gamers' forum
A 20-year-old US man killed himself live on a webcam on Bulgarian gamers' forum www.metalgearsolid.org, AFP and other agencies report. Mitchell "Mitch" Lee Stuekerjuergen, aka "Kuja105", reportedly swallowed antifreeze and pills "after complaining about family problems and a lack of money", forum administrator Boyan Georgiev told Bulgaria's BGNES news agency on Wednesday. Stuekerjuergen subesquently died on 4 January in hospital in Illinois.

A certain amount of controversy surrounds the whole sorry affair, with some claiming that other forum members "thought the man was joking, even though he rambled for six hours about the effects of the substances and disappeared from view several times", as AFP puts it.

Indeed, one indignant Slashdotter fumed yesterday: "Pulling from the AFP newswire, Yahoo, CNN, and others have been reporting about how a gamer broadcast his own suicide on a gaming forum via a webcam, and that members of the forum continued to ridicule the gamer while he killed himself. Gaming Horizon has just learned that this is completely untrue. The newswire reporter failed to check the facts, and, in turn, painted this simple gaming forum as cruel monsters."

As a result of the suicide the forum was recently "pulled offline via the request of a government agency pending an investigation regarding the unfortunate passing of TUS forum member, Mitchell Stuekerjuergen", as a site statement notes.

It is now back online with a number of tributes to Stuekerjuergen. ®







This really made me think about the consequeses of Blogging

,what's the mere difference between Truth & Lies over the

internet? ,do we really believe each others when we read

our posts and exchange comments or we just pretend that to

create the "Blogging Experience" with all of it's pros and

cons? ,what if someone of our Blogging Friends passes away

one day(ba3d 2el shar 3al kol tab3an though I don't know

how to translate this to English!)? ,will we feel deep

shock like what we feel when one of our "Earthly" friends

or relatives passes awayOrr we will just continue being

here pretending that nothing ever happened and forget

about it as soon as we finished shutting down our PCs?

And what will happen in the future?

Will all of us still be remembered by the younger

bloggers...

Or will we be just forgotten...

When all of us are gone...

11 Comments:

  • At 1:13 AM, Blogger Wonderer said…

    I guess the case is different here. Al7amdolelah "our blogging group" is very lucky. We are all decent people, sharing the same ethics standards. We are no freaks thanks God.

    My proof is that, when I met Doshar, Dalulla and Chari, I left that I am sitting with my true friends, as if I know them long time ago. That is because, no one pretend here, we are all very sincere and honest.

    I also talked to ATC, Me, Nerro and Rain on the phone and I assure you that I enjoyed the phone calls as much as I enjoyed the outing.

    Don't worry Night, there is no pretence here, "what you see is what you get".

    I guess the blogosphere is becoming a "truly" cozy and warm place to be at.

     
  • At 1:27 AM, Blogger ~Daydreamer~ said…

    Well, Night, I believe most blogs do hold the truth to who we really are. That's why we blog. It's an outlet, a secret window to our soul.

    I also believe blog friends and close online friends we've shared a lot with (sometimes they know more about us than friends in real life) will never forget us.

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger Rain said…

    Will all of us still be remembered by the younger
    bloggers...
    Or will we be just forgotten...


    Propably we'll be forgotten.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Alexandra said…

    could I skip the part about bloggers being truely decent or not and go back to the suicide thing. whether or not he was believed does not really have much to do with blogging. in reality people who decide to commit sucide are seldom believed

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Night, I think it depends on each of us. If you are open and honest about what you post and what you comment, I guess you tend to feel the others are the same, act the same way. If you wanted to just cheat and do not mean what you say when you comment, what is the point of the "blogging experience"? I think this is just a way of expression, a way into our true selves, a way to connect to people you come to admire through a more relevant and deep means than asl pls. It is still online and allows you to connect to people continents away from you, but at a deeper level.

    I am glad when my blogger friends publish good news, sad when they express sorrow and even sadder when they just don't post and comment all that much. So I guess one of them suddenly being dead would make me feel the same amount of pain as a normal friend and I would remember him/her everytime I'd open my blog or see the link to his/her site.

     
  • At 1:34 AM, Blogger change destiny said…

    It's all about getting attached , i guess . If you really consider all the bloggers you like dear friends then you'll never forget . But if to you blogging is just another internet tool that you enjoy but do not trust , then you probably will not . Actually now that you brought it up i don't know which side i am on ... wierd huh?

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    Look, it depends on the bloggers themselves and who is reading.
    for instance, I am aware that there are a lot of blogs out there but the people that I frequently read their blogs are few and I do really sympathize with them and I feel somehow that I know them and it's mutual since their comments show that too.
    of course it's not regarded like that by everyone but for me, I think it will make a big difference if anyone experiences any mishap or gone ... ba3d el shar, it's a very tough thing to imagine... wish everyone a long life and good health isA.

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger Nightlegend said…

    Wonderer:I meant the Blogsphere in general not our Blogging Group and not 99% of the people I visit their Blogs ,I was questioning the general blogging experience ,and by the way I always thank God for meeting such a wonderfull people like the names you mentioned.

    Daydreamer:(a secret window to our soul)

    Thanks alot for this nice expression.

    Rain:maybe we will.

    Alexandra:Why skip this part exactly?

    Kayla:I agree with you on all you said.

    Change Destiny:You are definitely on the first side ,no doubt about that.

    Message: I agree with you ,as I said t Wonderer ,I meant the Blogsphere in general not our mutual Blogsphere friends.

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    About the blogosphere in general...considering the number of dead blogs you run to at times, I think there is a pretty good chance someone would find the blog one day, read it and take notice of your existance. As for remembering, only those that know you, aka our blogging group, can do that.

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger tota said…

    I agree with Kayla as well
    beside, this place is like any other place an enviroment which could have the good and bad, so who wants to cheat in here will only cheat himslef, if we believed what he or she says, it will be inside our minds while this person who knows that he cant say the truth even in his hidden area

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Alexandra said…

    I skiped the part about bloggers honesty because on the net, as in real life, honsety is personal. its easier for people to con you on the net then it is for them to con you in real life but they would still try to do it anyway. and if you are honset you are honest what ever the chances for trickery are.
    now why concentrate on the sucide thing, because sucide concerns me ever since my best friend committed sucide in 1997. She jumped of the balcony on the 12th floor with out warning and with every effort at people not noticing until she suceeded. I blame my self for not notcing the signs

     

Post a Comment

<< Home