Alexandrian Nights

Monday, October 24, 2005

Declined Entry

Feeling very frusterated ,angry,sad..etc and alot of negative feelings at the same time ,this is not normal to have all of these feelings at the same time ,but there's a little story behind that.

About an month ago I received a very tempeting work offer from a company in the US ,actually this was like having a very sweet & strange dream ,since I am still having trouble finding a suitable job in my field then suddenly this offer ,it looked like dream offer on all the sides ,finace side ,career side ,benefits side...etc ,I did think about it for a while and it seemed to me that if every thing will go alright then I will be taking a very quick shortcut on my career's path ,the only obstacle was to get a VISA entry to the US ,since it's very hard and very complicated process to be invited directly from the company itself to join it so the only available method was to get this entry visa ,spend three-six months there as a test period then transfer this temporary visa into permanent residence.

I begun prepairing for it ,I called their Appointment system's number after paying the application's fees and got an interview date at Sunday October 23 rd ,there were nothing much to prepare except for some documentations like pasport ,photo and some economical documents like my apartment ownership contract ,bank accounts statements...etc ,only one this was more important which is the person I will be staying with during my visit there and in my case he was the company's owner at the same time a distant relative of my mother ,a very decent man who just returned home after 15 years there to get married and make some settlements ,he was looking for someone to join his company there as assitant IT manager ,we met and after some interviews he became very convinced that I am the suitable candidate for this position and so I begun preparing as above.

The interview's date was at 10 AM ,I was there at 9:45 ,there were crowds outside the embassy's building but less than expected(I guess that's because of the new appointment system which is different than the old system) ,I entered the building and after security procedures I was allowed into the main consular hall ,alot of people were there sitting ot writing their applications on tables ,my documents were reviewed by an assistant and I was asked to stand in the line to wait for my turn to receive my application and passport ,I did so and was aksed to sit again ,after about 45 minuets my name was called ,I thought that this is the interview moment with the counsular officer but I was presented to a young lady sitting behind a glass wall ,she told me to pick thephone's handset beside the glass to communicate with her ,and here were a fingers scanning device resting on the stand where I was standing and they took fingers prints scans ,and I returned to my seat.

After 30 minuets I was called again ,this time it was the interview time with the counsular officer himself ,and to be frank I must admit that before I enter the embassy's buliding the wholet hing was not 100% important to me ,I felt that if I succeed or not this will be fine with me ,but something changed after entering the building ,and somehow I became very worried that I may get refused and started to think about the whole matter of this job as a top priority to me ,that I must succeed insha2alah.

I aarived at the counsular window and the officer were sitting there already inspecting my application and he seemed not satisfied about something I didn't know ,I picked the handset ,he asked me about where I will stay I told him the address and he asked some quick questions about my work then he asked me if I were married or not?!! ,I said no and he sat silent for a moment then simply said(I am sorry ,I can't issue you the visa today!) ,I said(why?) ,he said(Sorry again but you didn't convince me that your residence at the US will be temporairly!) and he hung up ,I was speechless for a moment and unable to think of something to say ,then I waived to him to please pick up the handset again ,he did so and I tried to told him about my work here and that the person I am visiting there is American citizen and he is a well known business man there ,the counsular repeated his apology and handed me paper sheet printed by the US governemnt saying that under immegration law number...etc we apologize we couldn't issue you an entry visa today because you didn't show enough evidence that your stay in the US will be temporary and youcan reapply later!

I gathered my documents and got out of the embassy's buliding without feeling where I was going or knowing what I am gonna do ,I realized suddenly that I am beside the bus's station ,I booked a ticket for the nearest bus heading to Alexandria ,got on board and slep during all the ride and the bus arrived at 6PM(shortly after eftar) ,I arrived home and didn't eat ofcourse ,just had some water and some juice ,and went straight to my bed to have a very long sleep till 2 AM.

I may have failed ,maybe not since this is not a personal failure or career's failuers ,and there's thousands gets rejected the same way every month(I noticed while I was there that most of the rejected applicants were under 30) ,but I can't help it and I feel great loss ,depressed ,sad.....
I have nothing more to add.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Me ® said…

    well it is frustrating ..bas u never know .. maybe it's for the best

    " wa 3asa an takraho shay2an wa howa khayron lakom "

     

Post a Comment

<< Home